Treasury & Services Australia (Centrelink and Medicare)

The Australian Government is providing financial assistance to Australians. This assistance includes income support payments, payments to support households and temporary early releases of superannuation.

Income support for individuals

Over the next six months, the Government is temporarily expanding eligibility to income support payments and establishing a new, time-limited Coronavirus supplement to be paid at a rate of $550 per fortnight. This will be paid to both existing and new recipients of JobSeeker Payment, Youth Allowance Jobseeker, Parenting Payment, Farm Household Allowance and Special Benefit.

See Fact Sheet

Payments to support households

The Government is providing two separate $750 payments to social security, veteran and other income support recipients and eligible concession card holders. The first payment will be made from 31 March 2020 and the second payment will be made from 13 July 2020. Around half of those that benefit are pensioners. This payment will help to support confidence and domestic demand in the economy. The second payment will not be made to those eligible for the Coronavirus supplement.

See Fact Sheet

Temporary early release of superannuation

The Government is allowing individuals affected by the Coronavirus to access up to $10,000 of their superannuation in 2019-20 and a further $10,000 in 2020-21. Individuals will not need to pay tax on amounts released and the money they withdraw will not affect Centrelink or Veterans’ Affairs payments.

See Fact Sheet

Job Seekers:

If you’re not affected by coronavirus your mutual obligations won’t change.

However if you’re isolated at home because of coronavirus, Centrelink will grant you a Major Personal Crisis exemption for 14 days.

If you’re a Principal Carer you may also be exempt if either:

  • your child’s school or childcare centre has closed

  • you’re caring for an adult with a disability or special needs whose day service or supported workplace premises closes.

You’ll need to call Centrelink on your regular payment line to let them know.

Financial help for people who can’t work because of COVID-19

You may be able to get a payment from Centrelink if you can’t work because you’re isolated at home and aren’t getting paid by your employer.

Please check the Services Australia website for more details.

Other Centrelink Information

To find other information about Centrelink and COVID-19 please visit this page.

Be smart get accurate information
Be kind to loved ones and reduce anxiety
Be kind and check on loved ones
Be kind and show empathy to those affected